|  Meantime


Adam Gray’s beer-braised pork recipe beautifully enhances the rich flavour of the pork cheeks with Meantime Yakima Red while the carrots, potatoes and onions add earthy notes to the dish. Perfect with friends for that dinner party or just enjoy for yourself.


Pork cheeks
12 pork cheeks, preferably Saddleback
330ml Meantime Yakima Red
1 large onion, 3cm dice
3 carrots, 3cm dice
1 garlic bulb, halved
2 Braeburn apples, quartered

To cook the pork cheeks
150ml rapeseed oil
1 sprig sage
2 bay leaves, fresh
2l chicken stock
1l veal stock, brown Creamed carrots
150g shallots, peeled, finely sliced
1.5kg carrots, peeled, finely sliced
1l chicken stock
65g unsalted butter
ground white pepper

Onions and potatoes
12 button onions, peeled
500g roasting potatoes, diced into 2cm cubes
rapeseed oil

To garnish
1 tbsp chopped chives


1. Mix together the onion, carrot, garlic, apple and beer in a large sealable container. Place the pork cheeks in the container and coat thoroughly with the marinade, sealing the container and allow to marinade in the fridge overnight

2. Remove the container from the fridge and strain the meat, reserving the marinade and separating the liquid and apple quarters from the vegetables. Heat the rapeseed oil in a shallow heavy-based saucepan on a high heat. Sear the pork cheeks until all sides have turned a light golden brown.

3. Place the seared cheeks in a colander and drain off, reserving the liquid. Place the vegetables in the pan and cook until golden brown.

4. First add the bay and sage and then the reserved marinade and apples. Bring the mixture to the boil and then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Leave to reduce by three quarters.

5. In a new pan, add the cheeks, reduced liquid, chicken and veal stock. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and leave for 2 1/2-3 hours.

6. Meanwhile put the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and over a medium heat. Once the butter starts foaming, add the shallots and sweat for 2-3 minutes. Put in the carrots and sweat for another 4-5 minutes but do not colour.

7. Pour over the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Ensure that the carrots are cooked through.

8. Strain the carrots, remembering to reserve the liquid. Add the carrots and shallots to a blender with a drizzle of the cooking liquor and blend until the consistency is that of a smooth, thick purée. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and season with salt and white pepper. Put in a clean pan and set aside.

9. Once the cheeks are perfectly tender, remove from the pan and place in a shallow tray to cool.

10. Strain the cooking liquid into a thick-bottomed saucepan using a fine sieve. Place the pan on the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, and allow the liquid to gently simmer until it reaches a gravy-like consistency. Put to one side and put to side.

11. Meanwhile, blanch the button onions for 2 minutes in boiling water then remove and refresh in iced water. When cool, halve and put to one side.

12. Put the diced potatoes in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Then remove and strain immediately and put to one side.

13. Heat a dash of rapeseed oil in a large frying pan on a high heat. When hot, add the diced potatoes and halved button onions and sauté until golden. Season with a little salt and pepper. Keep warm and put to one side.

14. To serve, reheat the pork in the gravy in one pan and the creamed carrots in another. On each plate, place 3 cheeks followed by the potatoes, onions and purée. To garnish, sprinkle with some chopped chives. Serve straight away.



Were you born before 3rd October 2004?


I remember when phones had aerials.

or.... No, I only know smart phones.

You’ve reached this page because you clicked NO to being over 18.

While you wait:

The world's first mobile phone call was made on April 3, 1973 when Martin Cooper, a senior engineer at a now well-established phone brand, called a rival telecommunications company and informed them he was speaking via a mobile phone.